Saturday, July 16, 2011

Being a Ronin part VIII



While in Japan, working for Interac, I got married.  It was really cool, because when I first went to go ask her parents for permission, I made sure to wear a good suit.  Some buttons got damaged while I was teaching, and the whole teachers room came alive with activity as everyone was trying to help out and wishing me good luck.  Later they all chipped in and gave me an envelope full of money.  Its rare in my life when I feel truly touched, but I did feel that way.
Some of my friends always want to know why I don't talk about my wife often, and its a simple reason... She doesn't like the idea of being on the internet, so while I love her dearly, I don't speak about her online because she asked me to do that.  When I do speak of her, I do so only in the vaguest of terms.


Soon after we registered as husband and wife, I left Japan to get work in the US.  I have to admit, my students really inspired me to make teaching my profession, so I decided to become a social studies teacher in America.  I also got a job again with DJJ.  It was still a messed up position, with me breaking up lots of fights, butting heads and basically being a hard ass, but it was an improvement from when I worked with DJJ before.  It was hard for me because those very hard and strict characteristics which makes a good officer, is very different from what I naturally am.  It allowed me time to take the courses I needed to become a certified teacher.  I also had some time to get a TESL certificate... just in case.  Unfortunately, the five years my wife and I spent in America did not work out and we came to the decision to return to Japan.  There is no more need for teachers in America, so my wife and I chose to go back to where my passions were ignited.  She left in October to get the ball rolling... and so here I am now... waiting to go... I have my spousal visa ready... All I need is the word to go.

And so that is my reflections on being a Ronin...

No comments:

Post a Comment