Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The first time... Not what you think....

Well.  It seems now the Nerima placement is out of the picture.  The time frame I was given was a little unrealistic.  It would mean immigrating while my parents are away on vacation.  I can just picture the note “Dear mom, I fed the cat and left for Japan… Love you…” I would probably get cat shit for my Christmas present too.  In a well wrapped box too.  Instead, they said they are pretty sure they could assign me to Tokyo if I come in mid August.   
Outside of Goi station
I kind of like that idea because of its symmetry.  10 years ago in August 2001 is when I arrived in Japan the first time with NOVA.  I lived in what was pretty much a dormitory for NOVA instructors called Flower Mansion.  It was actually an apartment building with a lot of rooms rented out by NOVA where they would cram 3 instructors into a 2 bedroom apartment.  My assigned roommate came and got me at Chiba station and took me to the apartment in Goi.
View from my first apartment on the first day I was there.

 He took me around and introduced me to everyone, and in each room I had a drink of beer or Chuhai.  After that, he took me to a rather tiny Gaijin bar called “The Phoenix” where everything was 500 yen, where they gave me a welcome to Japan tequila sunrise.  Yeah… I got pretty smashed my first day.  I woke up on the floor in my new room and had no idea where I was.  10 years ago August… I like the symmetry.  I wonder exactly how symmetrical it will be.
The Phoenix bar... Yeah... thats all of it.  I was infront of the TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment