Monday, June 20, 2011

And here is where it all started

Since this is the first post, I guess its appropriate to ask; Why even do this? The answer? Why not? So here I go and I will start with one of the most difficult questions someone can ask of me: “Where is your hometown?” That’s hard for me because I am highly nomadic. I was born in Flint, Michigan, but I don’t remember it at all. My first memories were actually in Kalamazoo, Michigan where we lived until 1979. From there we moved to Naperville, Illinois until 1983. After that we moved to Charlotte, North Carolina until 1989. Charlotte was hands down, the best era of my life until much later, and I still remember it very fondly. 1988 was the best! From there we moved to Moorpark, California until 1994… It was actually 1992 for me since I went away to college at Northern Michigan University, where I studied oil painting. I had one hell of a time there, and I really had a college experience there. In 1994 we moved to Columbia, South Carolina where I transferred schools and took courses at USC. I say took courses for a reason, as I never connected with USC at all; Not like I connected with NMU. That was the last of my family moves. I moved several times to several apartments, and I lived in Chiba, Japan from 2001 to 2006. While in Japan, I got married and moved back to South Carolina. Now, I stand on the edge of immigrating back to Japan.


So now, where do I consider my hometown? Ishpeming, Michigan! What the hell right? This is because throughout every move I made, it was a stable and almost literally, an unchanging place for me. So its not technically a hometown, but more of a hinge. It is, on those frozen shores of Lake Superior, where my soul rests.
Now I am about to begin “a new act” in my life, so why not just log it down. So what is its theme? Nothing in particular, but probably a lot about Japan and whatever else is on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment