Monday, June 27, 2011

The visa progresses...

Time: Sunday afternoon
Music: Kasabian....  Test transmission

Taking a break from my 'Being a Ronin' series for a visa update.  My wife did the paperwork for the visa in Japan and submitted it on March 7th.  Of course, that massive earthquake hit a few days later and delayed it a little. She called back to immigration a few months later to see if there was any significant delay, but all they would say was that the Certificate of Eligibility would take approximately 3 months.  3 months and 1 week later, I have the COE in hand.  The next step was to drive to Atlanta, pay the fee, and do all the application work.  I took the time off of work a week beforehand and began to prepare.  It turns out all the information and forms are on the web.  I was trying to do things the same way I did them in 2001, but time progresses on.  I called the Japanese consulate in Atlanta just in case however and they told me that everything can be done by mail... but they told me a million times that they would not be responsible if it was lost in the mail.  So what I need to send is the visa application, 2 passport photos, a waiver of liability for sending things in the mail, and my COE.  They made it clear that its really important that I sign the passport, as that is a cause of a lot of denials.  To this I have to provide return postage as well. Fortunately, for a US citizen, there is no visa fee. 

Its great news since I dont have to make a 4 hour pilgrimage to Atlanta, hang out for an hour, and spend another 4 hours driving home.  Now... will I go into work tomorrow?  I doubt it....

2 comments:

  1. Let me know how mailing that stuff in goes, please? I'm debating on driving to Miami to do it or not. I have family in the area and could stay with them for a few days to get it all squared away. Do I have to mail them my actual passport? That makes me nervous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if I had family in Atlanta I would have gone. If you choose to use the mail, you will have to send a COE, visa application, the actual passport, and 2 passport photos. If mailing it, you have to provide return postage and sign a waiver stating they arent responsible if its lost in the mail. It takes around 5 days to process the visa, so if you arent there to pick it up, I would imagine you would still have to have it sent by mail. I would recommend that you use UPS or FedEx first or second day delivery. Since you pay a premium for those, there is always a long line of accountability for that package.

    ReplyDelete